Double-Check Your Way to Success

One of the easiest ways to ensure your success is to pay attention to the little things, which is what I call the subtleties of success. Too often, we focus on big opportunities and outcomes in front of us and forget about basic preparation which ends up reducing or limiting our success. A simple calendar error, for example, can create negative energy before a meeting, causing a routine business agreement to be more complex. The same idea holds true in our personal lives.

For example, your date is not going to be happy with you if you show up 30 minutes late, or worse on the wrong day. This is why the principle of the “double-check” is so critical. Making sure you have every box checked prevents you from getting in your own way and creates efficiency, effectiveness, and statistical success. The big tip here is to become a student of your calendar and double-check it every day. Just like how you think or say “thank you” before you go to bed and when you wake up, make sure you’re checking your calendar before you go to bed and when you wake up every day.

Think Like a Quarterback

Realize that you are a quarterback of life. The best quarterbacks, like Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, and Warren Moon (my favorite), are extremely detail-oriented people. They are successful in large part because they put systems in a particular way, in a certain order, ahead of time. They utilize the AAA strategy to get alignment, take action, and prepare for adjustment. Once a quarterback breaks the huddle, having decided on a play, they approach the line and make checks to counter what the defense is doing, and more importantly, make sure their team is in the right position. Evaluating and adapting to situations, not assuming that you called the right play in the first place, will make you more successful (just like our favorite quarterbacks) in everything that you do. 

Plan to Double-Check Your Plans

Another tip for achieving your goals is focus majority of your effort scheduling time to review your plans and prepare. I advocate using the 80/20/80 Rule, which means that most of your time (80%) should be spent on alignment, then you should be taking action the remaining 20% of the time. After taking that action, even more effort should go towards preparing for adjustment and managing the vision you created. Plan to spend 80% of your time adjusting your strategy after taking action, then execute it.

Pursuing Perfection

You should enjoy the pursuit of your potential while understanding that true perfection is impossible to attain. However, that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t enjoy the pursuit of it. We all make mistakes that we need to be accountable for, but that doesn’t mean, we should stop improving our efficiency, effectiveness, and statistical success. We need to “double-check” our work in order to recognize our mistakes while we still have the time to correct them. Better awareness can help us spot the patterns in our mistakes, aiding us from not making similar mistakes in the future.


We should strive to be like the great genius, Aaron Rodgers, and make double-check one of our habits for success. Realize that even the greatest quarterbacks make mistakes and if you don’t believe it, check out the NFL’s career interceptions thrown list. Take charge of your life and its goals, making sure you are in a position to make them happen.

Article By: Dave Meltzer

Source: Dave Meltzer